Louisiana Tech University Logo

Louisiana Tech University

President Guice's Blog

Celebrating success as 2017-18 year approaches end

I love this time of the school year.  As we wind down classes, finish projects, prepare for finals and plan for commencement, we also begin to reflect and celebrate the activities and successes over the past year. For many, there is the anticipation of a summer job or some time to relax and recover. For those who are graduating, there is some excitement, or perhaps anxiety, about what is next in life. And while almost everyone is ready for a break, I can also see that many don’t want to leave their friends, faculty and staff that have been such an integral part of their lives over the past months and years. I feel that we have done our job well when students are prepared to leave and make their mark in life, but when they don’t want to leave because of the great experiences that they have had on campus.

Tech Leadership Council

I enjoyed participating in several year-end celebrations this week, but didn’t have time to attend as many as I wanted. I always enjoy my year-end meeting with the Tech Leadership Council, a group of freshmen and upper-level mentors who are guided by Stacy Gilbert and others in preparing to be impactful leaders in college and beyond.

Student Athletes at Prez’s Rez

Kathy and I hosted the Student Athlete Advisory Council at the house on Monday evening and enjoyed getting to know these Tech ambassadors better. We also attended the annual Techspys event on Wednesday evening to celebrate the great athletes and athletics performances over the past year. That is always a fun event and I was proud to present the Presidential Award to Jacie McClure (volleyball) and Jordan Patrick (track & field).

Melanie Peel talks about Bridge students

I joined Melanie Peel and other staff at the Ropp Center to celebrate the first graduates of our Bridges to Bulldogs program. VP Jim King and his staff put this program in place in 2014 to help those students who may be just short of meeting one of our admissions requirements, by offering a structured summer experience that helps them across the bridge to full admission. This program has been remarkably successful and I am grateful for Melanie and others who have dedicated so much to the success of this program and these students. And I am very proud of the successes of these students!

Throughout the week, I enjoyed visiting with other students in my office and in my walks around campus. Late Friday, I welcomed our students who will be competing in the Miss Louisiana pageant in June. We believe that we will have the largest group of Tech students ever competing, including 8 current students and 2 alumni. I know that they will represent our institution well.  Best wishes, ladies!

On Tuesday, I drove to Baton Rouge to attend “Northern Exposure” at the Capitol Park Museum. We had public & private sector leaders from all across North Louisiana who were there to visit with many of our political leaders.

And on Friday, I drove to Bossier to meet with some of our corporate partners and to check on construction progress of our Tech Bossier Center.

Here are a few of my favorite pics for the week:

Freshmen Maddie Prattini & Carli Raupp

Mayor Ronny Walker & Ruston Sports Complex Groundbreaking

Senior athletes at Techspys

New noble trees in Quad

At Capitol Park Museum

Governor Edwards speaks to NLA leaders

Centennial Plaza in Spring

New Aswell residential nearing completion

First footings for Engineering & Science Building

Miss Tech Samantha Hawthorne scolding someone for poor performance